Detailed Course Description
Kopa Birth classes use an integrative approach to childbirth. The combination of coping skills presented during class – mindfulness techniques, meditation techniques, breathing techniques, movement and labor positions, and pressure/massage techniques – equip women and birth partners to confidently approach and move through labor.
Our intention is to empower the birthing person and birth partner to have a positive memory of their childbirth journey.
The birthing couple will be able to identify the 3 Stages of Labor and how to effectively respond with practical coping techniques
- Deep relaxation practice through guided imagery and positive affirmations
- Breathing techniques including vocalization
- Positions for Comfort and Labor Progression, Pushing Positions
- Sensory focus & other non-pharmacological options for pain management
- Common hospital procedures, including IVs and fetal monitoring
- How to communicate successfully with the hospital staff and your doctor or midwife
- Birth Plans vs Birth Preferences
- Possible interventions including medications, epidurals and nitrous oxide as options for pain management, induction, augmentation, assisted delivery and cesarean birth